Community Editing Contest | July

daxe

Hey there,

We have a event planned for you guys.

You must provide your own clips, which you must edit and then upload your entry on your YouTube channel, and post it on this thread to enter the contest.

There will only be few rules of this contest:

• Don't re-upload other's work and submit it as your own.
  • The contest is scheduled to end in 14 days [extended from 7], on July 26th, 2020.
  • Entry title on Youtube should be - astolfo contest entry (your name).

Rewards:

First place -
Astolfo Beta Access [chance of keeping it past a month if you put work in as a Beta user]

Second place -
3 Invites on your account OR we give Premium to anyone of your choosing.

Third place -
3 Invites on your account.

Few tips for editors:
You don't have to use all clips you obtained, review the footage and then use whatever is going to suit your video
There are no rules about using or not using certain editing tools, you're allowed to do everything.
The more effort you put into it, the better the final result will be. Polish your video before submitting an entry!
Color corrections can be nice, but don't overuse them, same with screen pumps.
Make sure your transitions don't give viewers a headache.

Goodluck everyone.

Kind regards,
Astolfo team.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• daxe pinned and featured this topic

Couple suggestions for the future:

- 7 days is a bit short, especially for the people who make those grand showstopping edits that we all love seeing. A slight time limit increase (around a week extra maybe?) would fit everyone's schedules better while still not making the contest last too long.

- You should really work on providing a pool of clips for everyone to use. I bet that there's people out there who can edit great but are either outshined due to poor recording quality or not able to record at all - forcing everyone to use the same quality and type of clips to edit not only levels the playing field but makes judging easier overall (as the amount of things you have to factor in when judging reduces). A part of this problem can be entirely sidestepped by simply not judging overall video quality, but this still doesn't exactly resolve the issue as higher quality clips still do have advantages other than looking better (i.e. non-choppy slowdowns due to higher FPS) and of course this also doesn't help the people who are unable to get clips in the first place (due to either complications with recording software, their specs not being good enough, not being able to get alts / a vpn, etc.). I understand that this is probably not something you want to use up time for, and for that reason you could possibly rely on volunteering community members to get those clips instead.

- Your judging process really needs to be worked on. From what I saw last time it was just you (daxe) rating all the entries in a couple minutes and even asking for community input & telling the community your choices before announcing them (you generally want to avoid community input if you're not letting the community vote on the entries from the start & of course you want to avoid telling the community the standings before they get officially announced). A better way to approach this is to get more judges to really make sure the choices are more unanimous (and not within just the judging team, but the entire community).

Note: I could be fully wrong about how the judging process was handled last time around as there could've been things that I simply didn't see. This is an assumption based off of the things I did see.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, username said:

- You should really work on providing a pool of clips for everyone to use. I bet that there's people out there who can edit great but are either outshined due to poor recording quality or not able to record at all - forcing everyone to use the same quality and type of clips to edit not only levels the playing field but makes judging easier overall (as the amount of things you have to factor in when judging reduces). A part of this problem can be entirely sidestepped by simply not judging overall video quality, but this still doesn't exactly resolve the issue as higher quality clips still do have advantages other than looking better (i.e. non-choppy slowdowns due to higher FPS) and of course this also doesn't help the people who are unable to get clips in the first place (due to either complications with recording software, their specs not being good enough, not being able to get alts / a vpn, etc.). I understand that this is probably not something you want to use up time for, and for that reason you could possibly rely on volunteering community members to get those clips instead.

This isn't really for just editing, it's for the creators in Astolfo to have a chance to be shouted out and recognized for their editing. That is why we do not supply clips, to see what our users can produce.

16 minutes ago, username said:

- Your judging process really needs to be worked on. From what I saw last time it was just you (daxe) rating all the entries in a couple minutes and even asking for community input & telling the community your choices before announcing them (you generally want to avoid community input if you're not letting the community vote on the entries from the start & of course you want to avoid telling the community the standings before they get officially announced). A better way to approach this is to get more judges to really make sure the choices are more unanimous (and not within just the judging team, but the entire community).

I asked opinion between two edits because I was stuck in between, at that time I would of asked another staff member but all were asleep aside from @zarzel and he was busy working on the client.

17 minutes ago, username said:

- 7 days is a bit short, especially for the people who make those grand showstopping edits that we all love seeing. A slight time limit increase (around a week extra maybe?) would fit everyone's schedules better while still not making the contest last too long.

I'll keep this in consideration, next one if I remember will be two weeks. (If it isn't contact me on discord and I'll extend the contest.)

34 minutes ago, fivetuff said:

bro used pre made transitions i swear LOL

Ya

(only one i used was the lens distortion thing other ones were me 😀😃😃🤕🤕🤮🥵🥵🥶😒😋 😀😃😃🤕🤕🤮🥵🥵🥶😒😋 😀😃😃🤕🤕🤮🥵🥵🥶😒😋 😀😃😃🤕🤕🤮🥵🥵🥶😒😋 😀😃😃🤕🤕🤮🥵🥵🥶😒😋

• daxe unpinned, locked and unfeatured this topic